Here’s something to try the next time your kids are bored, or arguing, or when everyone just needs a quick change of pace. It works with all ages, and with 2 or more players.
The beyond-easy, super simple storytelling game:
- Walk into your playroom, kids’ room, classroom or wherever you have a few types of toys or other random objects handy.
- Each player can grab one or two objects and place them all in a pile together.
- Now take turns making up a story using the toys and objects as inspiration. For the pile pictured above, it might start something like this: Once upon a time there was a tiger named Tom. He almost always liked to eat 8 flowers…
- After each person tells their story using the same random objects, you can vote as group to decide which story was the funniest, most realistic, most far-fetched, etc.
- If you want to get fancy, you can take a moment to chat about what words or parts of the story made the story funny, realistic, or far-fetched. Then decide how you could change the story to appeal to a different audience, or to fit a different genre.
- Repeat with new objects in the pile!